Hi Julia,

I have a deep understanding of the views of this blog you wrote because I am also learning how to play guitar this semester, so I agree with your views. In my opinion, no matter which instrument you are learning, you need behaviorism as the foundation at the beginning. Just like forming muscle memory, when you switch fingers, you need to know where to put your fingers in the next step, instead of staying at the stage where you have to look at your fingers every time to find the position. And learning to recognize notes, music score, and rhythm is cognitivism. Through the teacher’s teaching, we can fully enrich our knowledge of music theory. After all, knowing the notes proficiently and learning to read music are all processes that we need to recognize by ourselves. Constructivism behavior is the next stage. Through the flexibility of the fingers and the recognition of the notes, we can constantly try new music scores and play them out. And after a period of exercise and memory, many people can play it perfectly without a score. In my opinion, your use of learning piano as an example satisfies the characteristics of these three behaviors and made me understand more clearly.

Hi Kiana,

I very much agree with your point of view. I also wrote about it in my blog. I think my elementary school teachers generally use behaviorism. I think that behaviorism will indeed have a significant effect on elementary school students whose self-learning ability is not very high. But on the other hand, there will be some problems, because this method is very boring, just keep repeating the memory, lack of self-understanding. I also support the use of cognitivism more, because I think this method can let students realize when and what to do and cultivate some self-learning awareness. I think this may actually lead to better results.